Location: Kansas City, MO
Salary/Benefits: Competitive within the nonprofit sector. This position is full-time and offers benefits, including medical/dental insurance, considerable paid vacation leave, life and disability insurance and an excellent retirement plan.
Deadline: Position open until filled.
Outreach International is a global nonprofit that supports local leaders and community-led groups who develop lasting solutions to poverty-related issues. For more than 40 years, we have provided a framework for empowerment, facilitating the organization of community-based organizations to collaborate on all stages of issue resolution in an authentic, engaged, inclusive environment.
Our marketing team works to spread awareness of our work and share the passion and humanity of our community partners with the world through engaging, inventive, and ambitious materials.
We are looking for a writer to create compelling and thoughtful copy to share the mission of Outreach across different platforms, targeting a variety of audiences.
As the writer at Outreach International, you’ll craft authentic, persuasive, and inspiring copy for our website, fundraising campaigns, social media, blogs, email communications, donor letters, and much more. We are looking for someone who can creatively communicate what we do in a clear and concise way. As a member of the Marketing Team, you will work in close collaboration with our Visual Communications Manager to make sure our communications are both on-brand and effective.
You are responsible for managing the voice and tone of the organization. You would rather write uplifting content that focuses on the possibilities rather than on the problem. Your copy exudes dignity and respect. You are the storyteller that brings the mission of Outreach International to life for our donors.
We are looking for a creative, kind, collaborative teammate that thrives in a fast-paced environment, demonstrates a willingness to learn new things and has an enthusiasm and curiosity for Outreach International.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Responsible for managing the voice and tone of the organization across all platforms.
- Create a variety of content each month including, but not limited to; 30 social media posts, 1 enews email, 2-3 blog posts, marketing/fundraising campaign copy, Google Ads headlines.
- In-house copy editor for all written pieces.
- Generate unique, catchy copy for subject lines, headlines and ads.
- Find ways to adjust copy to communicate with different audiences across different channels.
- Present copy concepts and pitch stories to the Director of Marketing.
- Develop and upkeep a content management system.
- Become an expert in understanding what Outreach International does and dedicate your copywriting skills to finding creative, clear and concise ways to bring the mission to life for donors and potential donors alike.
- Work closely with the Visual Communications Manager to create unique campaign content. A healthy push and pull between copy and design is essential to achieving the collaborative environment we are looking for on our team.
- Juggle multiple projects and aspects of projects simultaneously to assist in department workflow.
- BA required, with a minimum of 2-3 years of copywriting experience within a marketing and communications environment, or equivalent. Nonprofit writing experience is a plus.
- A diverse portfolio of copy examples including web, print, advertising, email, and social.
- Must be accustomed to fast turnarounds, regular critiques, meeting deadlines and incorporating edits before final approval. Being receptive to feedback and constructive edits is key to the success of the Marketing Team’s workflow.
- Must have experience using Microsoft Office and Google Suite products.
- Evidence of high levels of productivity.
- Exceptional skill with the nuances of social media writing, including the use of hashtags, emojis and acronyms. Knowledge and experience with social media content management is a plus.
- An ability to adapt copy voice & tone to align with various audiences.
- Solid understanding of SEO concepts preferred.
- Must have an active interest in, and knowledge of, emerging fundraising/communication technologies and marketing best practices for both digital and print communications.
Additional preferred (but not essential) qualities:
- Have a working knowledge of SEO/SEM and understands the impact copywriting has on search rankings and our presence on the web–keyword usage, readability, story length, etc.
- Hands on experience with WordPress.
- Familiarity with web design and website best practices.
- Strong creative instincts.
- Experience in creative collaboration within a professional environment.
- Professional written skills in languages from countries where Outreach International currently works.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, a cover letter, and a single PDF file with 5-10 samples (or provide a website to view samples).
Outreach International is an equal opportunity employer.